Sunday, June 12, 2016

Wine and Cheese Pairing Blog Report

On June 11, 2016 I hosted a wine and cheese tasting event at my home.  After exploring several local cheese and wine shops, I found Trader Joe’s had a fantastic selection of cheeses and wines to fit my tight budget.  I decided to purchase three cheeses with different flavor profiles and textures. I settled on a Smoked Gouda, Brie and Havarti to pair with my wine selections.
Trader Joe’s not only has an excellent selection of wines, it has very knowledgeable and helpful wine consultants. I wanted to try a sparkling wine, dry rose and chardonnay with the cheese pairing. I provided the wine consultant my measly budget.  He provided several excellent recommendations and I ultimately settled on a J.L. Quinson Coteaux d’Aix En Provence 2014 and Badet Clement Chardonnay Pays D'Oc Révélation 2014. 
I was very excited that my close friends, who just happened to be my next door neighbors, accepted my invitation to my cheese and wine pairing.  The Sakaponou family (Lydie, Francis, Johanna, Charles & Marc) lived in France for many years.  Johanna, Charles and Marc were born in France and remain citizens.   They told us interesting stories and enlightened me about wine by providing me a deeper understanding of France, including the language and culture which is deeply rooted in the regions where the wine is produced.  They even offered to take me to France someday to explore the wine regions with them. This is definitely at the top my bucket list!
I prepared my buffet of cheeses, breads, crackers and grapes for my guests.  I chilled the wine and chose the glassware for the wines that would be best suited to enhance the wine. I chose the sparkling wine flutes and small fluted wine glasses.  Everyone enjoyed the wine and cheese pairing and offered their opinions. The dry rose, J.L. Quinson Coteaux d’Aix En Provence 2014, was a huge hit with everyone! The fact that this was a dry rose, which is beloved in France, brought back memories to the Sakaponou family of their life France.
the Sakaponou family and my family
Here are my tasting notes of the wine & cheese event:

Name:  J.L. Quinson Coteaux d’Aix En Provence 2014

Variety:  Blend, Grenache, Syrah and Cinsaut
Region: Provence
Country: France
Year: 2014
Price: $7.98
Traders Joes Wine Review:  A quintessential Provencal rosé, the light salmon colored 2014 Coteaux d'Aix rose gives up lots of red currants, dried strawberries, dusty pebble and dried flower notes on the nose. This flows to a fresh, focused and classically styled dry rose that has bright acidity, beautiful balance and a clean finish. Outstanding on all accounts and just what you're looking for when you need a dry rose for a hot summer day or to kick off a meal, drink this beauty anytime over the coming 5-7 months
My Review:  The aroma of this rose was of floral and citrus.  The color was reminiscent of pale watermelon juice. I served this rose chilled and it was very refreshing on a warm summer evening.  This is a light bodied rose with hints of lemon and strawberry.  It is dry rose, with balanced acidity and a wonderful crisp finish. I would highly recommend this affordable dry rose!
How they paired with various Cheeses:
Smoked Gouda: The smokiness of the Gouda mellowed with this rose and gave it lighter flavor profile that was quite pleasant.
Brie:  The creaminess of the Brie was enhanced. It also gave the Brie a subtle lemon citrus note to the taste. The Brie was my favorite cheese with his rose as the citrus was really enhanced by the cheese.
Havarti: A grassy note was detected when I drank this rose with the Havarti cheese. It was my least favorite of the cheese pairings with this wine.

Name:  Badet Clement Chardonnay Pays D'Oc Révélation 2014

Variety:  Chardonnay
Region: Pays d’Oc
Country: France
Year: 2014
Price: $5.99
Traders Joes Wine Review:  Oak-aged and a lovely, golden color. Its aromatic nose is full of ripe fruits with fresh banana and pear, with a bit of oak. At first delicate, the wine proves full and hearty on the palate, excellent with fresh fish, pasta with creamy sauces and mild cheeses.
My Review:  The aroma of this chardonnay of light citrus and mushroom.  The color was a pale yellow.  I served this chardonnay chilled and found the acidity and sweetness to be well-balanced. This is dry, medium bodied wine that did leave my mouth puckering a bit at the finish. I detected only a slight hint of oak, but also picked up some floral and citrus.  I would recommend this chardonnay at a good value without the overpowering oaky taste.
me tasting the wine

How they paired with various Cheeses:
Smoked Gouda: The smokiness of the Gouda brought out more of the oak flavor of the wine and also made the cheese taste a bit nutty. This was a good pairing as it brought out the oak flavor of the wine.
Brie:  The Brie paired well as it added a very soothing buttery and creamy taste with the Chardonnay that I found extremely satisfying.   
Havarti: The chardonnay did not pair well with this Havarti.  I found the oak in the Chardonnay brought out musty taste in the cheese that I did not find very appetizing.

Name:  Mille Millesimato Prosecco 2015

Variety: 
Region: Veneto
Country: Italy
Year: 2015
Price: $13.99
Vino Shop Wine Review: Bright straw yellow. Fine and lingering perlage. Bouquet: Clearly fruity with hints of apple, pear and a delicate note of citrus fruit, which delicately expresses flowery hints. Taste: Soft and elegant, with a very pleasant fizziness. Tangy and lingering, fabulously lively and light at every glass.
My Review:  The aroma of this prosecco of citrus, especially lemon and lime. The color was of translucent lemon.  I served this prosecco chilled and it was extremely refreshing! This prosecco is light bodied and dry but with a lavender and grassy finish.  I also picked up a lot of pear and a hint of lime.  I found the acidity was perfectly balanced and left a crisp finish.  The effervescence of the bubbles was very enjoyable and invigorating. I would highly recommend this prosecco!
How they paired with various Cheeses:
Smoked Gouda: I felt the delicate flavors of citrus and pear in the prosecco did not pair well with the smokiness in the Gouda.  It gave the cheese a dusty, pungent flavor I did not enjoy.
Brie:  The Brie paired exceptionally well with this prosecco.  The citrus enhanced the nutty and creamy flavor of the Brie.  The prosecco further enhanced the rich and buttery flavors of the Brie and this was my favorite pairing.     
Havarti: The Havarti cheese paired nicely as it acidy in the prosecco and effervescence mellowed the fat in this creamy cheese. The citrus flavors in the prosecco left a clean and balanced after taste and finish to the Havarti that I found enjoyable.   


In summary, the wine and cheese event was an incredible experience for all.  After all, there is not much that tops sharing wine, cheese, and memories with your best friends.  
the cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment