Sunday, May 29, 2016

Wine Dinner Blog Report – German/Local VA Organic Themed Meal

Wine Dinner Blog Report – German/Local VA Organic Themed Meal
The menu

On Saturday, May 29th I held my very first wine/dinner party that included my friend Drew, my brother Robbie, my parents and last but not least my energetic black lab named Otto.  My themed meal paired three German wines with German cuisine with a couple of interesting twists. I included a few local Virginia favorites for the appetizer course including crab dip and spiced shrimp. I also included a Cabernet Sauvignon from Argentina to pare with the red meat in the main entree.
my family- my mother, my father, and brother

my brother and my friend Drew

The reason I chose to hold a primarily German themed meal not only because I am German and interested in my heritage.  Additionally, Germany it was one of the favorite countries I visited in my European study abroad program. Sadly, I did not have the opportunity to sample any of the German wine when I was in Germany.  I lived with an amazing host family in Germany and had some of the most incredible experiences and Bratwurst in my life!   One of my favorites was a curry seasoned Brat..I know that sounds horrific, but it was delicious! 

The wine for the event was purchased from Total Wine & More  http://www.totalwine.com/store-info/virginia-richmond-robious-hall. The majority of my food for dinner was purchased at Magnolia Green Farmers Market http://themarketatmagnoliagreen.com/ in Moseley, Virginia.

 For my first course, I prepared mini-frankfurters in croissant crust with Dijon mustard.  I also served a delicious crab dip and spiced shrimp from Barham Seafood located at the Magnolia Green Farmers Market. Steve Barham of Powhatan, Virginia started his business in 2010. There is an interesting article about Steve and it also indicates where you can buy his wonderful seafood at   http://richmondmagazine.com/restaurants-in-richmond/food-news/barham-seafood-fresh-fish/. To satisfy the cheese lovers, I served Brie an ginger fig rolls.
my mother with the appetizers 

For my second course I served greens with mozzarella radishes (Germans even use these in beer production) and dressed this in an olive oil and lemon dressing.    These were also purchased at the Farmers Market at Sprout About Mobile Market aka S.A.M.M.  http://www.fodfarm.com/s-a-m-m/ .  S.A.M.M. represents several local farms in Virginia, offering fresh produces with 48 hours of harvest.  
Ingredients bought at the Farmer's Market

the salad second course

For my third course, I served Bratwurst and Hamburgers with bacon and cheddar.  Germans’ really take their Bratwurst seriously! Therefore, I judiciously selected my Bratwurst at the Farmers Market from Dockery Branch Farms http://dockerybranchfarms.com/our-story/ of South Hill, Virginia. Dockery Branch Farms is a family owned and operated that uses recipes used by four generations of the Smith family. 

third course

For my fourth course, I served ice cream and pound cake with fresh strawberries also from the Magnolia Green Farmers Market. I selected strawberries as they are very popular on desserts in Germany. They serve strawberries on their tarts, cakes and yes, even ice cream! 


desserts!

Below are the wines I selected for each course (Dinner Menu Below) along with my review and how the dishes affect the wines when paired with them. 


Hans Schiller Liebfraumilch 2010

Alone: I really enjoyed the aroma as it was of lemon, citrus and grape.  Light bodied and smooth finish.  It was crisp and refreshing. The flavors I picked up on where of lemon and citrus. It had sweet flavor, but was balanced well with the acids.
With Fig & Ginger Brie Rolls:  The figs were extremely sweet and the wine was less sweet.  This made the wine off balance and dry. This appetizer proved to be a poor choice in the pairing. 
With Dijon Fancy Franks:  The fruitiness of the wine did not enhance the flavors.  I felt the smokiness of the Franks was enhanced. I did not feel this appetizer brought out anything new flavors in the wine.   
With Spiced Shrimp: The citrus in the wine paired nicely with the lemon and spice combination on the shrimp.  The acid in the wine balanced out the lemon and it enhanced the spice level and peppery flavor in the shrimp. 
With Crab Dip: The cream cheese in the dip seemed to neutralize the acid in the wine. The wine also brought out the creaminess in the cheese and was a fantastic match to this light bodied wine. 

Hans Schiller Rheinhessen Spatlese 2013

Alone:  Aroma was very pleasant with a flowery smell with a hint of Orange Blossom.  Medium bodied and drier than the 1st Course wine, although hints of sweetness were evident. I noted an orange taste and sweet finish.
With Salad, Radishes & Mozzarella: The wine’s acidity balanced with the salad nicely and made the lemon vignette less mouth puckering. The wine brought earthy and flowery taste in the greens and radishes. The mozzarella became more creamy and delightful.

Lexicon Cabernet Sauvignon 2013

Alone: This was least favorite aroma. This wine had an earthy, woody with a dusty smell.  This is a full bodied wine that leaves your mouth puckering with dryness.  The taste was smokey.  The tannins were strong and the finish was not smooth.
With Bratwurst: The Bratwurst definitely balanced this dish. It removed the mouth puckering dryness. It enhanced the smokiness in the pork. 
With Hamburger: The hamburger and bun helped take away the dry finish on the wine.  The wine enhanced the red meat and gave it a spicy taste.  


Red Vin Sweet Red Rheinhessen 2014

Alone: I absolutely loved the aroma of this fruity wine with its notes of cherry.  This is a sweet wine, but the acids and tannins balanced it out. I tasted wonderful blackberry and raspberry flavors. I would consider this a medium bodied wine with a smooth finish.
With Strawberries and Ice Cream: This sweet red that matched the sweetness of the ice cream. It enhanced the flavor of the strawberries making them a bit sweeter.  This is a well-balanced wine and not overly sweet, which surprised me because it is dessert wine. This wine was excellent choice with the dessert and my favorite wine at the dinner!


my mother with my dog Otto

No comments:

Post a Comment